Monday, August 13, 2018

One Epic Road Trip and a Polo TSI



THE TORQUE POST


Power: 88 KW

Torque: 160 N.M

0 to 100 KM/H: 11.2 s

Motor: Turbo Inline 4 1.2 L

Gearbox: 5 speed Manual

Someone once told me that the best way to get to know a car is to take it on a epic road trip. So I decided that I should combine my love of travel and cars and take my own car on a road trip from Jozi to Cape Town, the long way round.

My road trip started on a cold Tuesday morning at about 06h00 when I set off direction Kimberly, my first stop on this epic journey. It was the start to me finding out more about my car and what it can and can’t do.

Starting on farm roads, the suspension suffered and the ride was rough and the whole car was vibrating but this changed the moment I got on the road. The ride turned smooth and the handling became amazing.
The 1.2 turbo four pot makes the right amount of power and is quite and doesn’t intrude into the cabin at all.

The road trip started the next morning in Kimberly at minus two! It was freezing! But to the polo’s credit, it started right away without fuss, but the revs did spend a minute at about 1000 RPM to warm up.

City driving was awesome in the car making for quick traffic light take offs and the ability to overtake minibus taxi’s and slower drivers. It is also small enough to get into tight gaps and make a break for the that turn off.

Highway driving is a dream. It returns around 4.9 to 5.0 L per 100 KM at 120 KM/H and when the road allows, 130 KM/H is more than possible. The only negative is, if you are driving at 100 KM/H you are going to have to downshift to overtake, but from 115 KM/H the turbo is there and you just put your foot down and off you go.

I stopped at Augrabies that Night to explore the national park and the waterfall that lies with in it (Side note: if you want to go further into park, pick up truck or 4x4 needed). Indeed worth a visit just to see it!

The last part of the trip involved driving on dirt roads and again the car suffered. The suspension is not set up for this, and the car is way too low for the roads. When the horrible dirt roads were over, I was blessed with driving Nirvana! Back roads that had more corners than a race track and they were fast corners at that.

The car handles like a dream through the corners with barley any body roll and the car cornered super well. Some corners allowed me to power through with out downshifting and some needed me to downshift.

All in all, the car is the perfect little car. Great in the city and great on the open road. My only regret? Not going for the Highline which is 112KW compared to my Comfortline which is 88 KW (Side note: Normal comfortline’s are 66 KW but I bought mine from the dealer with 88 KW).

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

TL;DR:

Good: Low consumption, handles well, punchy

Bad: Avoid ANY kind of Dirt road.

Next weeks Edition: I explore Dapper Coffee in Bree Street Cape Town which offers coffee and the best back drop ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment